Monday, March 28, 2011

Women I Have Loved (Part 1 of Too Many)

The summer before my senior year of college I spent a month at a sublet in Brooklyn Heights on Pineapple Street. Right across the street was the St. George Hotel, which provided cheap rooms to the indigent. There was a subway entrance in the lobby and old black men sat outside on lawn furniture basking in the sun. There was also a strip club in the basement, called, I believe, 'Club Wildfyre.' My girlfriend had moved into the apartment at the beginning of the summer but I went to New Orleans to live with a friend. I visited her on the way south and she asked me to stay but I told her no. 'You won't respect me if I don't go have this adventure,' I said. There I was hit by the thunderbolt and running away from it. Not running exactly...I was 21 and there was so much time, time to do everything.

I didn't have a phone in the former slaves quarters of the French Quarter apartment. So I called her from payphones on the street late at night, often so drunk that I slumped on the ground, the receiver cool on my ear.

One night before I made it back north, she decided to visit the strip club. Feeling like this wasn't a good idea for a woman, She dressed as a man, going so far as to bind her breasts and ink a mustache on her upper lip. The disguise worked. She shared drinks with the lowlifes in the club and even stuffed dollar bills down the g-strings of the dancers. Before she went out, she took mirror photos in her apartment. The photos showed a really pretty girl in a tuxedo jacket with a black smear across her upper lip. Sarah had curves that no binding could hide and I don't know how it fooled anyone but people see what they're programmed to see and boldness can take you a long a way (and she had plenty of that). Ah, Sarah, the memory makes me miss you.

2 comments:

ctelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Then I would prefer to visit that plastic bags for those wonderful activities. rolex replica On wash rag affordable handbags advertise, you can get exquisite plastic bags extremely worthy of adult females to lug to help you food, concert, besides other wonderful. Everything that should really be call to mind to help you all of them are which will the best option in offer plastic bags at this moment is without a doubt arm and once again pattern wash rag designer handbag, and not offer –style. replica cartier So it is specially suitable to switch internet business business cards and have eating dinner elements, even while storing that pattern is without a doubt surely ill-timed. fake cartier On tone, an important great wash rag designer handbag might allows you to be highly respectable inside of the your lights around the blog, have a go! replica chanel A truly acceptable wash rag backpack in the positive party have to offer usa unthinkable success each of those on live life and even get the job done. rolex replica Various kids have it go through: Usually some people bring in the exact same backpack inside activities thanks to in haste precious time, it was subsequently embarrassing with the party and even aura that have an incompatible backpack.