Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cobblers of the Apocalypse

I like my cobbler. He's a Korean-American guy who moved to the OC when he was 11, early enough so that his English is pure Socal. And he dresses exactly like Don Ho, in lurid Hawaiian shirts. His thick hair is swept back like Elvis and he's got great silver streaks in it.

The last time I was there he told me that when he came here, he was the only Korean kid in his high school. 'And there was one Chinese girl,' he said. Things sure have changed in the OC - probably two thirds of my students are first or second generation East Asians.

Then he started asking me if I thought the world was on the verge of a big change.

What kind of change? I said.

I don't know, he said. But don't you see the signs? I mean, all kinds of things are happening all over the place. War, destruction, market crashes, environmental problems. It's kind of like the end of the world.

I guess you're right, I said. Let's just hope it happens when we're dead and gone. [Apres moi, le deluge].

I realized then that I didn't know anything about my cobbler.

No, he said. I want to see it. I want things to change.

13 comments:

陳函松 said...

傻氣的人喜歡給心 雖然每次都被笑了卻得到了別人的心..................................................

思姿穎穎 said...

成功多屬於那些很快做出決定,卻又不輕易變更的人。而失敗也經常屬於那些很難做出決定,卻又經常變更的人..................................................

kittycha said...

A friend to everybody is a friend to nobody...................................................

皇銘 said...

要保持更新呦,加油!!!期待你的新文章!!!.................................................................

洪筱婷 said...

nice to know you, and glad to find such a good artical!......................................................................

姜志銘 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。.................................................................                           

Robot Boy said...

I guess I'm big in Japan.

asdas said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

靜宸靜宸 said...

人生是故事的創造與遺忘。............................................................

怡潔怡潔 said...

睇完之後覺得有d頓悟..感謝分享...................................................................

葉瑞 said...

Pay somebody back in his own coin.............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

A bad workman quarrels with his tools...................................................................

有年 said...

快樂,是享受工作過程的結果............................................................